Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Convention Builds



The drama of the last two days has left me pretty drained. The anticipation for Hillary Clinton's speech on Tuesday night was great. The MSM was fomenting the so-called riff between we Hillary supporters and Obama backers. After Gov. Ed Rendell pointed out his "Hillary Supporter for Obama" button to me, I couldn't wait to get one myself. It's been on my lapel since Tuesday and has garnered lots of nods of approval and comments.
Hillary gave a wonderful speech. (She looked great in that orange pantsuit!) I watched it from an entranceway to the floor, alongside for a time, Annette Benning. There was a hint of sadness in my heart that Hillary wasn't the nominee, but my admiration for her grew event stronger for the way she handled herself.
Hillary has been outstanding throughout this Convention. She has been held to an impossible standard, (typically imposed on a woman) and she nailed it. I heard her speech to her delegates on Wednesday, and later in the day, her move to nominate Obama by acclamation was more than we have ever expected from a candidate who fell short of victory.
President Clinton helped to re-focus this convention on the candidacy of Barack Obama with his speech tonight, and Obama's surprise visit to the Pepsi Center was a brilliant move. I've been concerned about some of the missteps on the part of the Obama Camp during this convention. Wednesday night firmly nudged attention back to Obama and why he should be President.

I'll be getting out of town before Obama's speech at Mile High, but not because I am a disgruntled Hillary supporter. I can't get tickets, and I need to get back home to my real job as soon as possible. If I was lucky enough to attend, I would express my concern for the logistics. I keep hearing buzz from attendees about the six hour wait they face at the stadium and the challenges of transportation. I hope 70,000 people get there; they will be witnesses to history.

No comments: